In summary, polyclonal antibodies are produced by first injecting antigen into an animal (immunisation). The antibodies are later obtained by collecting blood from the animal.
Flash content here - script enabled
There are many choices and factors to take into consideration when designing a protocol for polyclonal antibody production, these include:
- choice of animal;
- immunisation protocol, including:
- use of adjuvant;
- routes of administration of antigen;
- number/timing of booster injections;
- methods of harvesting the antibodies; .
- methods of characterising the polyclonals.
You will learn about each of these factors individually.